Ashraf is the founder of Motei & Associates. He began his career as a Public Prosecutor in Cairo, Egypt in 1990. Two years later, he commenced his private practice as an Associate with Baker & McKenzie – Cairo, Los Angeles and Dallas offices. In 1997, he moved to Dubai to act as in-house Counsel for Majid Al Futtaim (MAF), one of the leading drivers of economic growth in the Middle East and North Africa. Two years later, he was appointed as Regional Counsel by the Swiss multinational, Nestlé S.A. In 2002, Motei & Associates was born.
AREA OF EXPERTISE
Ashraf leads the dispute resolution practice at M&A. He advises clients on complex civil, commercial and corporate litigation including contracts disputes, joint ventures, shareholders disputes, business crimes (management misconduct, fraud, theft), construction, professional negligence, agency and employment disputes. Ashraf has over two decades recognized expertise in real estate disputes and has represented buyers in over numerous cases including sale and purchase disputes, delayed handover, discrepancy in saleable area, canceled projects, landlord and tenant disputes.
Ashraf has also a recognized expertise in international arbitration. He has represented clients in numerous arbitration cases under the rules of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), The London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA), Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC-LCIA), and Dubai International Arbitration Centre (DIAC). He advises on all aspects of the arbitral process throughout the enforcement procedures of arbitral awards, either local or worldwide. He has also served as arbitrator and co-arbitrator in numerous proceedings institutional and Ad hoc cases.
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS
- Master of Laws (LL.M.) – SMU Dedman School of Law, Dallas
- Master of Laws – Paris I – La Sorbonne, Paris
- Bachelor of Laws – Cairo University School of Law
- Advanced Certificate in International Arbitration (MCIArb) – Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, London
- Certified Practitioner of Nero Linguistic Programing (NLP), London
- Certified Blockchain & Law Professional from Blockchain Council, California
BAR & OTHER ADMISSIONS
- Egypt – Registered Pleading Advocate before the Court of Cassation
- DIFC Courts – Registered Practitioner Lawyer with Rights of Audience
- DIFC Court Wills Registry – Registered Wills Draftsman
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (MCIArb)
- London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA)
- Dubai International Arbitration Centre (DIAC)
- International Bar Association (IBA)